Employer's Annual FUTA Return
Form 940 is an annual report used to report FUTA (Federal Unemployment Tax Act) tax. Generally, employers that answer "Yes" to either of the questions below (some exclusions/situations may apply) will need to file Form 940:
- Did you pay wages of $1,500 or more to employees in any calendar quarter during 2011 or 2012?
- Did you have one or more employees for at least some or part of a day in any 20 or more different weeks in 2010 or 20 or more different weeks in 2011? Count all full-time, part-time, and temporary employees?
- You will need the following information to file
- EIN (Employer ID Number)
- PIN (Personal ID Number)
- Annual Wages
- Adjustments for state exclusions (if applicable)
- FUTA liabilities by quarter
- FUTA deposits
The IRS requires PIN number to E-file 940 forms with the IRS. Apply for one at speedEfiler.com for free! Simply log-in or create an account, then then go to the "Start New Forms" area within Your Filing Home. From there, you can then follow the steps to complete the Employer PIN Application.
Due Dates for Form 940
To Internal Revenue Service:
Please note: If date shown falls on a Saturday, Sunday or legal holiday, the due date is the next business day.Start Filing!